A Strange Encounter With Johann Heinrich Lambert
Some anecdotal evidence for the source of some strange coincidences between this author and the name "Lambert":
- It is the name of the German mathematician, physicist and astronomer Johann Heinrich Lambert. This author is a mathematician by day and an amateur astronomer by night. The name of his favorite composer is Johann. His name (Ioannis) is
Johann and Hans in German.
- In 1979 a favorite movie Alien came out. One of the passengers was named Lambert,
played by Veronica Cartwright.
- The original design of the alien creature was by Hans Ruedi Giger, who the author is a big fan of.
- A big fan of the Highlander movies and series, where the actor Christopher Lambert plays the immortal Highlander.
- A big fan of the Matrix films, where Lambert Wilson plays the
|Father owned a VW beetle, whose
left door was destroyed in a car accident in 1971. The door was subsequently
changed in 1972 and along with that, the car keys. The new car key, has on it imprinted something which resembles the Shell-Thron region. This is the image of the Complex unit circle, under the map
φ(z)=ez/ez, the inverse of which involves Lambert's W Function. This is also the area of the Complex
plane inside which the infinite exponential tower +∞z
- In 1998, a strange lucid dream after dosing off watching the Greek National
TV channel: ERT, where someone yelled very loudly: "KEVESH".
A Hebrew acquaintance gives one possible interpretation in
English as Lamb (as in "sheep"). "Lamb"+"ERT"=Lambert.
- Having high cholesterol, have been taking Lipitor (atorvastatin calcium) tablets,
which are produced by Pfizer Pharmaceutical. Pfizer was previously known as
- In emission spectroscopy, stumbled upon the Lambert-Beer Law which involves the log function (although
admittedly in base 10). The natural log function is intimately tied with Lambert's
- In lighting engineering and optics, stumbled along Lambert's Cosine Law.
- In 1999 hired by the University of Crete to investigate applications of
Maple in Analysis, encountered Lambert's W Function
- In 2000 investigating various ideas on Infinite Exponentials, the results involved again Lambert's W Function